Confessions of a Drama Queen

Friday, December 11, 2009

It's Christmastime!

I truly love this time of year. The decorations, the music, the movies, how everyone just seems so much more happy and smilier than normal. I don't even mind the commercials since they're Christmasy.

So, I've been trying for Michael Buble tickets all week long for his Seattle concert in April. Warm 106.9 was giving away tickets in the front 5 rows and today was front row tickets. Did I win? Of course not :-( If I had, I would probably be jumping off the walls and hyperventilating right about now. I love him! Oh well, it obviously wasn't meant to be.

I don't care that it got 4.6 stars out of 10 on IMDB or that there are loads of bad reviews written about it, but I thoroughly enjoyed New Moon. It wasn't phenomenal and the acting definitely wasn't Oscar-worthy. It was what it was, the sequel to what started out as an Indy like film and bloomed into a mega franchise. As far as the books go, New Moon is my least favorite in the series. So, though I was still really excited to see it, I went into the movie with somewhat low expectations. It did help that I was going to see it with several good friends. In fact, everyone that went on our little Twilight stalking trip back in April to Vancouver while they were filming New Moon was there. It was a mini reunion :-) Plus, prior to the movie I had gotten to chill with Vicki at Starbucks and then we had a dinner of happy hour menu items at this awesome restaurant and lounge in the Belltown area of Seattle, called Amber. Great place, totally recommend it!

Anyway, back to New Moon. I really thought that Chris Weitz did a great job with it! When I read the book, I spent most of the time frustrated about Edward leaving and how stupid Bella was being. While this also occurred in the movie, there were so many humorous moments to keep me from dwelling on those facts. I think I spent most of the time laughing and drooling over Taylor Lautner sans shirt. I still can't believe he's only 17. All in all, it was a great movie and I'm looking forward to seeing it again. Afterward we went to this chocolate bar restaurant place. I totally forget the name of the place, but their chocolate mousse was to die for and this restaurant did remind me of Papa Haydn's in Portland. Our hostess was the sweetest girl. It turned out that she was a Twilight fan too and was excited when we told her that we just got out of the movie. S and Mel were gonna buy some of the individual chocolates they had behind the counter, but instead the hostess gave a plate of them to our table for free! According to V, this is not a common occurrance. I really think that there is some unspoken bond amongst us Twihards. I first noticed it in Vancouver. Eclipse comes out in June! From the sounds of it, they're also bringing it to the Imax theaters, yay! Edward, Jacob and Emmett on a huge Imax screen? I could deal.

The ISU Grand Prix events are officially over, leaving Evan Lysacek and Kim Yu-Na as the champions. Evan is just amazing. I think that he's gonna give Plushenko a run for his money at the Olympics. And while I'm really not a big fan of Johnny Weir, he can skate very well. As can Jeremy Abbott.

Despite my allegations that he can't pull it off in my previous entry, I really really really want to see Ryan Bradley compete in Vancouver. He really proved himself in his long program at Skate America. Except for the Adagio movement in his clarinet concerto, I don't think I have ever enjoyed music by Mozart more than when Ryan did his Amadeus routine. What a character! If he can just work in some more confidence and consistency, I think that he could be a strong competitor. He is such a class act, not to mention an all-around nice guy. I've actually had the chance to chat with him a bit via Facebook. It's so sweet that he's taken time to respond to his fans on there. I haven't quite worked up the courage to ask for his hand in marriage yet, but there's still time. Can you imagine how adorable our kids would be? I love the look of dark hair with blue or green eyes, so in my high school biology class I remember doing a lab where we got to figure out the probability of the eye colors of our future kids. Ryan has dark brown hair and beautiful blue eyes. I have brown eyes with a recessive blue via my dad. I remember doing the calculations and if I marry someone with blue or green eyes, there will be a 50/50 chance that our kids will have blue or green eyes!

Kim Yu-Na is, little by little, getting knocked off of her throne. In the Grand Prix event she did prior to the final it was proven that she is in fact human, not just some skating machine that pumps out near flawless performances. Her human side came out again in the SP of the final and for the first time in who knows how long, she was second place going into the LP behind Japan's Miki Ando. While she totally worked it in the LP and ended up winning, it does seem that we might have a more interesting competition on the ladies' side in the Olympics than originally speculated. We shall see. Yay for Ashley Wagner showing her stuff in her LP after a disappointing SP. That girl's got the goods, I really like her!

Unfortunately, our American ladies have a lot of work to do if there's gonna be any chance of medaling in Vancouver. I still have no idea who our two ladies are gonna be. If Sasha Cohen does compete at Nationals and skates at the top of her game, she will be a shoo in and may actually have a shot at the podium in the Olympics. Her biggest set back will be not having done any competitive skating in the last few years. But if anyone can pull it off, it's Sasha! The second slot is really just up for grabs by Alissa, Rachael, Mirai or Ashley. It all comes down to Nationals in January. I can't believe that it's gonna be in Spokane again. That's only 5 hours away from here! But it won't work out financially. I'd have to take the Greyhound to get there, the tickets are nearly $100 per skating event and then there would be the hotel stay. Grr... Someday I WILL get to see some figure skating live in person. I am determined to make it happen.

I just watched the sneak peak trailer for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and I am so excited! Do we really have to wait a whole year until part 1 comes out? That's gonna feel like an excrutiating eternity. Well, I think I'm gonna go work on some of the presents I'm knitting and watch a Christmas movie. Did I mention that I LOVE this time of year?

Labels: , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

  • At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was trying to win tickets, too! I wish they posted the winners so I would know of whom to be jealous. :)

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    chadda medicines submission inkpen battle exacerbation metatags okalkan djokus pawan kaletra
    semelokertes marchimundui

     
  • At 1:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home