Confessions of a Drama Queen

Friday, January 15, 2010

Too much time on my hands...

I need a job! Though I have been attempting to be somewhat productive by working on my room and getting it ready for whenever I'm financially able to move out to my own place. Do you know how hard it is to organize 26 years worth of stuff? I probably should throw some things out, but I'm too sentimental for that. One of the positives of having a lot of time is that I've had the chance to rediscover things I used to love and discover some new infatuations. Primarily music and movies. I recently found a whole bunch of my old CD's. I had almost forgotten how much I enjoyed the music of the late 90's. Was that really more than 10 years ago? Eeeek!

Despite the lack of depth in several of their songs, I really love my old Aqua CD. Yes, the group famous for the "Barbie Girl". "Be a Man" and "Turn Back Time" are actually really good songs and the rest of their music is just fun to bop around and be silly too. They did a song called "Doctor Jones" and I'm wondering if it's a reference to Indiana Jones. There's a line in it that is in Temple of Doom (more on that later). Hmm.... I also found some of my BSB and Hanson albums. Plus a whole bunch of singles. Remember those? They may still make them, but I haven't bought a CD in so long, so I don't know. They were great for if you liked a particular song by an artist, but maybe had heard that the rest of the album wasn't all that great. I remember buying them for like a dollar or two back in the day. My friends and I used to collect Hanson and Spice Girls singles, since those were our two favorite groups.

I'm actually listening to one of my uncovered CD's right now, the Aida original Broadway cast soundtrack. I wish they would bring the show to Seattle, I love it! Princess Amneris is my favorite charactor and my fave songs are "My Strongest Suit", "The Gods Love Nubia" and "I Know the Truth". Elton John and Tim Rice did such an amazing job with the music!

So, one of my new discoveries is Ariana Grande. This girl is super talented and she's like 16 years old! I had seen that Amanda Bynes had sent her a comment on Twitter one day and ended up clicking on the link to her youtube channel to see who she was. Before I knew it, I had watched like every video on her channel. From the looks of it, one of her favorite past times when she was younger was putting together amazingly edited videos. She was on Broadway in the short-lived show called 13: The Musical, which is about the trials and tribulations of adolescence performed by the first all-teenage cast ever. It actually looked like a great show. I'm kind of bummed they ended it already. Anyway, here's one of my favorite Ariana videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sEjGp2WmDA Talk about some major multi-tasking and I so want one of those looper thingamajigs! I'm looking forward to seeing Ariana on the upcoming Nickelodeon show, VicTORIous. I really hope they take advantage of her phenomenal voice.

Okay, I'm tired of being careful about correct punctuation. No more quotes and italicizing. Lately, I have been on a kick of watching movie series. The other night was all about X-Men. So, I know I previously blogged about how horrible the third installment, X-Men: The Last Stand, was. But after watching it again for the first time since seeing it in theater, I may have to retract some of the ranting. While it still doesn't hold up to the first two films, it's really not all that bad. I think it's growing on me. Yay for second chances!

Now, this is not the case for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I'm in the middle of an Indy-fest (Indy being short for Indiana) and last night I watched Raiders followed by Temple of Doom. I think I've seen Raiders at least once a year (if not anywhere between 2-5 times) since I was born. I was like 3 or 4 when I fell in love with Indiana Jones. He was my second crush after Luke Skywalker. My family has been big fans of the series for as I can remember. Raiders and The Last Crusade are staples in our family movie times. While I really love The Last Crusade (Sean Connery totally makes the movie!), Raiders just has a little bit of a headstart since it was the first movie to come out.

You would think that Temple of Doom should be in that mix since it was second in the series, right? Prior to last night the first and only time I saw it had been about 18 years ago when I was in 3rd grade. All I remember from the experience was an annoying Asian kid, an even more obnoxious blonde lady, people eating monkey brains, some priest dude ripping out the heart of another guy and just completely hating the film, in general. After watching it last night, my opinion has not changed. I had to resist the urge to turn it off 10 minutes into the film. The reason I love the other two is because of the humor and charactor development. Temple of Doom lacked both. Cheesy dialogue, bad acting, scenes brinking on being horribly offensive/racist and over-the-top disgustingness. The dinner scene was seriously one of the worst things I have ever seen. Now, I don't mind a little racist humor every now and again, as long as it's not outwardly offensive or rude. After watching this movie, you would come to conclusion that people from India are Satan-worshipping, voodoo-doing, eyeball/snake surprise/monkey brain/cockroach eating freaks. I'm aware that they probably do eat some things that we would not consider appetizing by any means here in the States. I have been to the Philippines, so I've had some eye-openers when it comes to food. But this was so ridiculously overboard and gross. And a 7.5/10 rating on IMDB? Really? I'd give it a 2. It completely lost the continuity of the other two movies. I had watch part of The Last Crusade afterward to remind myself why I loved Indiana Jones. "Ah, Venice", "Look what you did, I can't believe what you did!" Love that movie! Oh well, I guess even Lucas and Spielberg are entitled to make mistakes and Temple of Doom was definitely one of them :-( Tonight I plan to finish The Last Crusade then watch The Crystal Skull, which I have not yet seen. I've heard mixed reviews, so I'm feeling a little pessimistic, but we'll see.

I saw Avatar last weekend with my sister. All I can say is WOW! They could have done without the spurts of foul language, but aside from that I was blown away. I don't think I've ever cried over blue people before, lol. I can't wait for the sequels since it's supposed to be a trilogy!

I got a leopard print Snuggie for Christmas....and I'm actually starting to like it. While I still think it's a silly fad and that they really do look like multi-colored Monk robes, they are pretty comfortable. In fact, I'm using mine right now :-) Today is the start of the U.S. Figure Skating Championships! I guess the pairs are just about done with their SP. Sad day for Keauna McLaughlin and Rockne Brubaker :-( There were some twittered updates that Keauna fell twice. It's okay, they still have the long. I'm pulling for them to make the Olympic team! Tonight is the Men's SPs. Unfortunately Universal Sports is only airing like an hour and a half of live coverage. I hope they're smart and show all of the frontrunners (Evan, Ryan, Brandon, Jeremy, Adam....and even Johnny) during that time. I'm gonna be bummed if I don't get to see Ryan's routine. To celebrate the week of figure skating festivities, I created a lovely backround for my laptop and Twitter page. Check it out:
Yeah, I know it's a little Ryan heavy, but what can I say, I love the guy! I'm currently counting down the hours until 10 when US is supposed to have some live coverage tonight. So excited! Good luck to all of the skaters! I think this may be my longest blog entry ever. I think I'm done now, lol. Au Revoir!

1 Comments:

  • At 1:46 AM, Blogger Falling LEAVes said…

    hehe I know what you mean about having time on your hands and should sort through 26 years of stuff ... well for me it would be 25. Just last week I discovered some grade school stuff that I finally tossed out. I also found some old church programs and newsletters from when I was younger. As for X-men, they show some reruns on them on the weekends late at night. I was watching some of them and I couldn't remember seeing those episodes when I was younger. I miss the cartoon :( there was nothing on TV that was interesting to me one day this week. So I dug out the X-Men movies to watch. I watched only the first one. The second one I vaguely remember. I also wanted to see how the continuity worked with Wolverine's story since I finally saw X-Men origins.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home